These are great for all kinds of decoration and you can make lots of different sizes.
For 200g :
- Grate the chocolate and melt in the bain-marie – do not allow the temperature to exceed 50°.
- Cut the cellophane into strips of about 10X10cm.
- To ‘temper’ the chocolate, leave it to cool to 27/28° then re-heat to 31/32°. This operation is necessary to prevent the cocoa butter from separating out from the cocoa mass.
- Using a spatula, spread stripes of chocolate onto the prepared cellophane. At this stage you can choose between making them thicker or thinner and wider or narrower; in practice the thicker the band the more curls you get while the thinner the band the more broken bits.
- As soon as you have rolled out the chocolate, roll the cellophane to make tubes 1 to 2cm in diameter. Leave to cool on the tray.
- When the chocolate has hardened, unroll the cellophane. Now you can make your curls or use the thickest as tubes provided you only rolled the cellophane once.