A refreshing conserve to be eaten all summer long
|For 4 30cl pots:
- Peal and stone the peaches. Weigh them – you re aiming for 1 kil of fruit.
- Cover with sugar, scatter the lemon zest and add the juice, mix gently and let stand for an hour.
- The sugar should be melted after an hour. Heat gently and bring to the boil, then keep at boiling point for 20 minutes. The conserve will darken and thicken.
- With a clean spoon, take a small amount of the syrup and pour it onto a cold plate. It should become gel like – if not, return to the boil for a further 5 minutes until the desired texture is obtained.
- Place the rosemary sprigs into the conserve and allow to infuse for 5 minutes.
- Scald the pots, remove the rosemary and pour the conserve into the pots using a jam funnel.
Variation: replace the rosemary leaves with 10 leaves of verbena.