They are good, with a crispy taste
To make 40:
- Beat the sugar and butter together in a bowl till smooth and light.
- Add the flour and mix in with a fork till you have a breadcrumb-like consistency.
- Beat in the egg to make a stiff mixture and form into a ball with your hands. Flatten with the palm of your hand and reform into a ball Repeat this process 2 or 3 times.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°.
- Take ½ the ball and place on a sheet of baking parchment, flatten slightly and cover with another sheet. Roll the dough out evenly to 6 or 7mm thick. Using the paper stops the dough adhering to the rolling-pin.
- Cut out the biscuits using the cutter till you have used up all the dough, placing them on a lined baking-sheet as you go. Repeat the process with the remaining dough.
- There is no need to glaze the biscuits. Simply cook them in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes, taking care that they do not burn. They will harden as they cool.
These cookies will keep a fortnight in a sealed tin.