A delicious and easy to make cake. To make in advance as the cake needs chilling for 4 hours.
Serves 10 :
Cocolate Mousse :
- Préparation of the sponge base:
Preheat the oven to 175°.
Whisk the eggs and sugar together for about 10 minutes to obtain a light and airy mixture.
Fold in half the sieved flour with a spatula, then the remaining flour, lifting and turning the mixture gently.
- Pour half the mixture into a round tin 15cm in diameter and the remaining mixture onto a baking tray measuring 28*38cm, covered with baking parchment. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and upend the biscuit onto another sheet of baking parchment, remove the original sheet of parchment very carefully and spread the chocolate spread evenly.
Roll up the sponge/biscuit inside the baking parchment and refrigerate for an hour.
- Preparation of the chocolate Mousse
Break the chocolate into pieces into a large bowl and add hot water. Leave for 5 minutes. As soon as the chocolate has melted, throw away the water. Add the egg yolks, a teaspoon of vanilla essence and mix well with a wooden spoon.
Whisk the egg whites into stiff peaks, adding the sugar as soon as the peaks begin to form. Continue to whisk until stiff. Fold in half the chocolate-yolk mixture and then the other half.
Line the bowl with clingwrap
Cut the roll in slices and then place the slices side by side into the bowl to form the shell of the turtle. Add the chocolate mousse, then finish with the round sponge to complete the cake. Cover with clingwrap and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Unmould the cake onto a large plate and decorate with the rolls for feet and head. Use small pieces of chocolate for the eyes.
For toddlers, don’t use chocolate mousse – use half a melon, covered in foil, brush with chocolate spread, cover with the slices of sponge roll, then decorate as above.