These crunchy Belgian biscuits are perfect with coffee.
For 55 spéculoos:
The dough is made the previous day.
- In a large bowl, mix the prepared butter with the Demerara sugar. Add the egg, mixing well.
- Mix all the dry ingredients, and add to the egg mixture, mixing with a fork for a couple of minutes till the dough forms a softish ball.
- Lay the dough on a sheet of baking parchment, form into a long rectangular sausage (depending on the desired shape of the biscuits). Wrap firmly in the baking paper and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180°.
- Cut into thin 5-6mm slices and lay onto the baking tray lined with baking parchment.
- Cook for 15mins till the surface is hard. The speculoos will harden further as they cool.
These biscuits may be kept for up to a month in a sealed tin.