I’m sure you are familiar with these Scottish biscuits, which you can find in the supermarket in their distinctive tartan tins. They are delicious and very easy to make.
For 25 biscuits :
- The success of this recipe depends on the quality of the butter you use. Ideally, choose a farmhouse butter or if not, an organic semi salted butter. If you can only find unsalted butter, add a level teaspoon of salt to the mixture.
The butter should be soft but not liquid.
- Preheat the oven to 150° .
- Mix the flour and the sugar together in a large bowl
- Add the butter in small pieces and the vanilla essence. Mix well and knead for about 10 minutes to form a ball of smooth dough.
- Cover the baking sheet with baking parchment. Roll out the dough to a thickness of 1 cm.
- Prick with a fork to divide the dough into 25 rectangles (see photo).
- Bake for 30 minutes, the shortbread should not remain pale in colour.
- While they are warm, cut the shortbread with a knife, then allow to cool and harden on the baking sheet.
- These shortbread biscuits should keep 15 days in a tin.
Variation; you can use a pastry cutter or glass to cut the biscuits into rounds.