A very light sponge that can be used for any 2 or 3 layer gateau and also as a base for raspberry mousse.
For a rectangle de 28×38cm:
- Preheat oven to 180°
- Place the parchment on the tray and grease lightly.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks and sugar together till thick and creamy. Fold in the ground almonds and flour with a spatula.
- Whip egg whites till stiff and fold carefully into the almond and egg mixture; this should be light and airy.
- Spread over baking tray, levelling the surface with a spatula. Cook for 15 mins.
- Leave to cool on the tray.
- Cut into the shapes required..
This cake will keep for a fortnight wrapped in baking parchment.
Variation: For a thicker cake, use a cake tin and cook for 20 mins at 170°.